5.07.2010

Wal-Mart

I hate Wal-Mart. I don't hat Wal-Mart because they exploit their workers (then get sued, Megan) or drive Mom & Pop stores out of business. I hate Wal-Mart because they don't give a damn about their customers.

I tried to find some fruit that wasn't in terrible condition. No luck. I tried to find a lane where I didn't have to check myself out and pay the same price. Slight luck. The lady who ran the register was about 50. Not too old, but too old to work at Wal-Mart at 11:00. She bagged the shit out of our groceries. I'm not a true conservationist or hippie, but I do try to cut out as much waste as I can while keeping my extra work to a minimum. This cashier used four bags to wrap two bottles of Pellegrino. It was a little ridiculous.

I had a gift card with $7 on it. It won't scan. You'll have to come back and wait in line at customer service to get them to research it. I'm still debating as to whether that experience is worth $7.

In short, I like the idea of Wal-Mart. To me it seems very American. Some guy in Arkansas turned a single shop into a multi-billion dollar empire. That's amazing, but I don't work for you. I shouldn't ever have to check myself out or wait in a ten-deep line to have the one employee you have working do her job.

P.S. - To all you stockboys who give me dirty looks because I'm trying to shop in the same aisle you're stocking - YOU'RE IN MY WAY! Smile and stand there until I get my cottage cheese then go about your business. I'm the customer, you're the guy still wearing JNCOs.

No comments:

Post a Comment