4.28.2010

GM is full of shit.

Okay, so it turns out that the GM commercial with the rich guy walking through a GM factory is kind of bullshit. Ed Whitacre, CEO of GM, claims they have "repaid their loan in full with interest five years ahead of schedule". This is true, but not really.

I did a little research (Free Press, National Public Radio) and found out a few things.


Facts:
1. GM was give a total of $52 billion from the U.S. taxpayers

2. The U.S. bought 61% of GM for $45.3 billion

3. GM was given a $6.7 billion dollar loan

4. GM expects the federal government to make the $52 billion back when GM stock goes public later this year or early next

5. GM has never been worth $52 billion

Now, how the hell are we supposed to sell 60% of a company for $52B when the whole damn thing isn't worth that much? I know I sound a little conservative in this post (for those of you who know me, I'm not very conservative). I think GM should start making cars people want or die. I know some of you have friends or family that worked at GM, but I don't care.

In March 2010, GM sold 188,011 total vehicles. Toyota sold 186,863. GM outsold Toyota by 0.6% ... and Toyotas fucking kill people.

No comments:

Post a Comment